Monday, March 24, 2008

Mukilteo McMansion madness

Where I come from, it is common for buildings such as a three-flat to have a high-quality facing brick on the facade, and a lower-quality structural brick on the sides.  In a row of city houses, the side walls are close to and facing other buildings, so it it customary to use a cheaper brick.

Little did I know that the same economics apply to the garish McMansions of Mukilteo!  Look at this Spanish sty:

No windows, no design elements, just sweet, sweet siding.  Clearly, these people have a great deal of money and taste.

Here's another one nearby.  Could this be a new, emergent school of architecture?  Could barren Seattle have found culture at last?

Why do homedebtors always have so many vehicles lying about?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying the blog!

Yeah I've noticed the plain siding / audacious facade thing while driving on West Lake Sammamish Parkway. Like I'm really fooled into thinking the outside walls are made of big river rocks. It would be okay if the dichotomy wasn't so ugly.

christiangustafson said...

Thank you, Zanket!

If you see some RE horror out there, let me know, please, and I will walk there and take pictures.

I have plans for a walk around West Seattle to survey the situation as well as a visit to a very prominent condo sales center near downtown.