Saturday, October 5, 2013

Charts 10-04: Return to Anderson's Books

I walked down to Ballard again today (Saturday), to visit Anderson's Books again, this time with my 7 year-old daughter in tow.  My poor kids are used to my book habit by now, and behave themselves very well in any shop.  They browse the kids' sections and know that I will buy any books for them that strike their fancy.

I'm in a corner of the stacks for a while, looking over the history books, when I realize it's very quiet.  Not sure she is there, I call for my daughter, and after a minute, she arrives.

She has a book with her and asks if she can have it.  She had been wrapped up reading it in the corner alone and in silence.

Oh shit!  It's a book of poems by Alan Ginsburg!  I'm instantly overwhelmed with his ominous warning -- "We will get you through your children!" --  and here I am, stunned that my own child has found this book and likes it.  A lot.

A quick scan through to make sure it's not obscene, and it comes along with us.  Here's what else I found.

I have most of Solzhenitsyn's writings now in hardcover, which makes a nice set and should make a nice sight together on a shelf.

Alex Solzhenitsyn, August 1914


I went back for the Dreiser.  I'm heavy into the realist American writers, from Frank Norris to Dreiser to Tom Wolfe.  The print in this one is very small, so it should make for a long read.

Ted Dreiser, The Genius

This next guy is a lot of fun.  Once I stumbled across an old, worn copy of Gangs of New York, many years before Scorsese made his movie with Daniel Day-Lewis.  Asbury was a minister, shocked and appalled by the crazy shit that was everyday New York City in the 19th Century.  Gangs covered the legends of the Bowery, the murderous gangs that looted and killed sailors down at Battery Park, the spooky Chinese tongs and their assassins, the insane draft riots of the Civil War, everything.  The book has a reformist tone, as Asbury, a man of God, is looking to document the horrors of NYC in an effort to improve the conditions there.

This one is billed "An unflinching account of the sink-hole of depravity and vice that once made San Francisco's underworld the most dangerous spot in America".  Sounds great to me!

Herb Asbury, The Barbary Coast

The problem about reading this, and returning to San Francisco to look for the locations, is that the slate was pretty much wiped clean by the earthquake of 1906.  So today while I can visit all of the cool scenes from the 1978 "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" movie with Donald Sutherland, I doubt I can find anything at all of this one.  But the stories should be good nonetheless.

And I picked up that spare copy of F. H. King's book Farmers of Forty Centuries, on organic agriculture in Southeast Asia a century ago.  I love to give books away, and this is a gift for a friend.

F. H. King, Farmers of Forty Centuries

Charts?   I still think we head a little lower to finish off the 4th wave of the ending-diagonal since SPX 1560.  I stared at the chart Thursday night and could not make much sense of it.  I think Friday helped.

SPX 10-04

Longer-term count with the proposed top @1751 November 4th.

SPX 10-04 6M

No comments: